Council Tax

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit

The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea administers Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit for its residents. The funding for these welfare benefits comes from central government who also set the laws and guidelines that govern them.

  • The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Benefits Service staff are available to assist with all new and existing claims Monday to Friday, from 8.30am to 5pm.

Calculating your entitlement

The amount of entitlement depends on the income and capital of the resident and the amount of rent and Council Tax set for the property the resident lives in. There are also differences for those over 60, those self-employed or students. Please see theHousing Benefitpages for the benefit calculator and Local Housing Allowance entitlement calculator.

Private landlord information

Landlords can find information here on what happens when a tenant is claiming benefit and the responsibilities they may have. There is also information on the Local Housing Allowance (LHA) for private landlords (see Housing Benefit for more details).

Other grants, benefits and exemptions

There is also advice on other benefits, grants and exemptions that are available for residents such as the Winter Fuel Payment, Working Tax Credit, or Bereavement Benefits to name a few. There are also the contact details of advice centres across the borough that can help with any issues that our residents face.

Neighbourhood Watch

Neighbourhood Watch Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How long would I have to serve as a member of Neighbourhood Watch?

A. You’re under no obligation – serve for as long or as short a time as you wish. If you do decide to leave though, it helps if you can give your street co-ordinator a little notice, so they can fill the gap you will leave.

Q. Does being a member of Neighbourhood Watch mean that I can involve my family?

A. Generally speaking, yes – but do make sure that children don’t become too involved, apart from making them aware of when they themselves are at risk. Neighbourhood Watch requires maturity, judgement and an adult sense of responsibility.

Q. Will membership give the impression that I am working for the police?

A. The fact is that you are not. Everything said and written about Neighbourhood Watch shows that you are in effect doing what every responsible citizen should be doing – helping the police and your neighbours to create and maintain a safe, crime-free community.

Q. I have a disability. Will it create problems? Are disabled people really welcome in the scheme?

A. Disabled  people can often prove to be the most useful members. But if you have doubts, have a word with your Street Co-ordinator.

Q. Am I expected to patrol the streets?

Absolutely not. The police strongly discourage vigilantes and people who seek to take the law into their own hands. Apart from the risk of physical injury, there can be serious legal implications. If, however, you would like to play a more active role, you could always consider applying to join the Metropolitan Police Special Constabulary. As a Special Constable, you will be able to help the police on a voluntary basis as a fully trained officer in uniform.

In an emergency phone 999